Italian PizzaCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Pizza is part of the national Italian cuisine.
No one knows exactly how it was created, and many even believe that it was not created in Italy. It is believed that it was created in the Mediterranean area, but it is not known whether it was first made by the Greeks, Romans or Egyptians.
It is believed that the beginnings of the development of today’s pizza begin at the time of the Persian emperor Darius the Great. At that time, soldiers used to bake some bread on their shields, on which they put cheese and dates. Mark Porcius Cato, a Roman historian, in the 3rd century BC, described a kind of pizza as a round dough topped with olive oil, honey, various herbs and baked on a stone.
The remains of some kind of round pastries were excavated in Pompeii. It is interesting that even in the cookbook of Marcus Gavius Appius, all the ingredients that are used for pizzas today are listed.
In the Middle Ages, servants put the leftovers of their masters’ food on bread and heated them in the oven. When tomatoes from Peru arrived in Italy in the 16th century, the poor population of Naples created pizza as we know it today.
The name pizza first appeared in a manuscript from the city of Gaeta, in southern Italy, in 997.
Immigrants from Naples started making pizzas in New York, Chicago, Boston, St. Louis, and Trenton. During World War II, Ira Nevin invented the first gas ovens, and this contributed to the development of an increasing number of pizzerias.
20g of yeast
150ml of water
50 ml of milk
4 tablespoons of oil
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put yeast, warm milk, warm water, sugar and oil in a bowl.
- Mix, then add salt, flour and knead until everything is nicely combined.
- Leave the dough to rise for 30 minutes.
- Knead it and divide it into two balls. Leave for another 15 minutes.
- Then roll out the balls with a rolling pin to the size of the mold.
- You will receive two pizzas that are ready for filling and baking.
- When you have arranged all the filling ingredients as desired, depending on which pizza you are making, put them to bake in a heated oven at the maximum temperature, from 6 to 8 minutes.