No visa is required for the following nationalities: Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Burundi, Cyprus, Dominica, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gambia, Grenada, Grenadines, Ghana, Jamaica, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia*, Maldives, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa*, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. (Countries marked with an “*” are limited to a 30-day visa-free stay; a visa is required for longer stays).
For citizens of other countries/territories, pre-departure visas can be obtained from a Kenyan embassy or consulate and are valid for 6 months from the date of issue. Current costs for tourist visas are: USD/€20/GBP10 (transit), USD/€40/GBP30 (single entry) and USD 100 (multiple entry). Unlike visas from other countries, the Kenyan visa application is short (1 page) and not very detailed, and is processed in 10 days, and in 12-16 days during the high season from May to August.
- Visas can now be applied for in advance online via the Kenyan government‘s eVisa portal.
- Visas are also available on arrival at international airports and borders for almost all nationalities.
- Make sure you are in the right queue at the airport to avoid extra waiting. No photo is required, just pay £50 or £30 in cash.
- Nationals of the following countries are not entitled to an entry visa and must apply for one in advance:
Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Cameroon, Iraq, Jordan, Kosovo, Lebanon, Mali, North Korea, Senegal, Somalia, Syria, Palestine, Tajikistan.
If you need a visa to enter Kenya, you can apply for one at a British embassy, high commission or consulate in the country where you are legally resident if there is no Kenyan mission abroad. For instance, the Embassy of the United Kingdom in Almaty, Belgrade, Budapest, Guatemala City, Jakarta, Prague, Pristina, Rabat, Riga, Sofia, Tallinn, Vienna, Warsaw and Zagreb accept applications for Kenyan visas. British diplomatic missions charge GBP 50 for processing a Kenyan visa application and an additional GBP 70 if the Kenyan authorities require the visa application to be forwarded to them. The Kenyan authorities may also charge an additional fee if they correspond directly with you. Single entry visa holders can effectively re-enter Kenya if they have only travelled to Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda and declare this on their return to Kenya by providing proof of their passport stamps.
- There is now also the 90-day (multiple entry) East African visa, which is valid for Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda and costs US$100.