Destinations in Nicaragua
Regions in Nicaragua
- Capital Region
The most populous region of Nicaragua, centred on the capital Managua and including the Pueblos Blancos.
- Caribbean Nicaragua
Here you travel mainly by boat and the rich mix of Nicaraguan, Caribbean, Miskito and Garifuna cultures makes this region seem like another country.
- Northern Highlands
Visit cigar factories, take a canyon tour or see how coffee is grown in a region full of remnants of the revolution.
- North Pacific Coast
Located at the collision point of two tectonic plates, this region has some of the highest volcanic activity on the planet and is home to two national icons: Flor de Caña Rum and the poet Rubén Darío.
- Rio San Juan Region
An almost forgotten part of the country, with hidden treasures such as the islands of Solentiname or El Castillo, accessible by car, and the gateway to the pristine rainforest of the Indio Maiz Reserve.
- South Pacific Coast
A narrow strip of land bordered by the Pacific Ocean and Lago Nicaragua. Surf remote spots along the coast, party in San Juan del Sur or ride a motorbike around the iconic Isla de Ometepe.
Cities in Nicaragua
- Managua – The capital, which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1972 and was notorious for its blandness, is slowly regaining its nobility.
- Granada (Nicaragua) – colonial beauty, favourite of expatriates.
- León (Nicaragua) – the old rival of Granada, famous for its students, its left-wing politics and its cathedral.
- Masaya – a charming “suburb” of Managua with an artisan market and easy access to the Pueblos Blancos.
- Bluefields – the largest city on the Caribbean coast and the main centre of travel.
- San Carlos (Nicaragua) – Gateway to the Rio San Juan Region
- Estelí – drink coffee where it is grown and use the town as a starting point for various excursions, including to Somoto Canyon.
- San Juan del Sur – surfer town, party mecca and anchorage for cruises around the Pacific.
- Jinotega – “The Capital of Coffee”, a city in the north of the country, with the Cathedral of San Juan, the Peña de la Cruz and Lago Apanás.
Other destinations in Nicaragua
- Big Corn Island – Caribbean island with diving, relaxation and fishing.
- Little Corn Island – Caribbean island with diving, relaxation and fishing. The more popular of the two Corn Islands.
- Isla de Ometepe – Island in the shadow of two volcanoes
- Somoto – home of the spectacular Somoto Canyon.
- El Castillo – a Spanish fortress on the Rio San Juan and a good entry point into the nearby jungle.
- Laguna de Apoyo – nature reserve with black sand beaches
- Pearl Lagoon – Caribbean city with a relaxed atmosphere
- Solentiname Islands – a group of islands in Lake Nicaragua, famous for their naïve paintings and balsa wood figures.
- Masaya Volcano
- Advertisement -