Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Internet & Communications in Poland

EuropePolandInternet & Communications in Poland

Mobile phones

Plus (code 260 01), T-Mobile (previously ERA) (260 02), Orange (260 03), and Play are the four mobile phone carriers in Poland (260 06). The typical European GSM 900/1800 MHz network covers about 98 percent of the nation, with the remaining 2 percent being nature reserves or high mountains. Almost every town has 3G service. Plus and Cyfrowy Polsat have just launched LTE networks. Some carriers currently have two identities for their prepaid services as a result of the introduction of virtual brands: Plus has Plush and Simplus, T-Mobile has Heyah and Tak Tak, and Orange has Pop and Orange Go. Domestic call prices are approximately the same across the board for all providers.

Prepaid beginning kits with SIM cards (called starter in Polish) are readily available in most stores, supermarkets, and news agencies at affordable costs (5-20z, the majority of which is accessible for calls). Request a beginning and be careful to specify the network you prefer. Accounts are valid for a few days for outgoing calls, so fill them up for, say, 20z (“doadowanie” [do-wa-do-vanye] in Polish, be careful to provide the figure you want). Prepaid SIM cards must be registered as of July 25, 2016. It implies that the SIM card must be linked to the identification evidence.

Almost every shopping center has at least one independent cellphone store; the owners are generally educated and offer a variety of low-cost phones that may be used as a local/travel phone. This might be a decent alternative since juggling SIM cards is usually a hassle.

Polish telephone numbers

In Poland, all phone numbers are 9 digits long and never begin with 0 — though they used to. Sometimes numbers are printed the old manner, with just the last 7 digits given, in which case you must prefix the now-mandatory area code (e.g. 22 — Warsaw, 61 — Pozna, 12 — Kraków) OR a 0 is included at the beginning, in which case it must be omitted. It makes no difference whether you call from a landline or a mobile phone.

International calls

To make a call from Poland to another country:

00 Country code from a landline phone Local phone number

  • Country code from a mobile phone Local phone number

To contact Poland from outside the country, dial 48, then the number ‘without’ the leading 0, just as you would from a domestic mobile phone.

International and roaming calls are both costly. You may cut your bill by doing the following:

  • Purchase “phone cards” to make overseas calls.
  • To make or receive calls in Poland, activate a pre-paid account (the cost may be as low as 20 z).

Skype and other free internet communication tools are also widely used in Poland.

Internet

If you’re carrying a laptop, Wireless LAN Hot-Spots are accessible at various locations, sometimes for free, sometimes for a fee. The best places to look for one are airports, train stations, cafés, retail malls, libraries, city centers, and universities. You may inquire at your hotel, but expect to pay. If you need to connect to the Internet, don’t worry; Internet cafés can be found in all of Poland’s main cities. Customers may access free wi-fi in most coffee shops and restaurants, which is typically password-protected. There is a lot of accessible wi-fi in residential estates, but there has been anecdotal evidence of cyber crime, so it is important to be cautious.

You may utilize your mobile phone to use CSD, HSCSD, GPRS, or EDGE, but the cost may be prohibitive. UMTS/HSPA service is accessible in nearly all major and mid-sized cities. If your phone is not SIM-locked, you may want to consider buying a pre-paid SIM card intended for data access. Every cell provider has its own pre-paid internet plan. You have the option of purchasing Era Blueconnect Starter, iPlus Simdata, Orange Free na kart, or Play Online na kart. Internet access from Era, Plus, and Orange is available across the nation using GPRS/EDGE technology. 3G/3.5G signals can be received in nearly all large, medium, and small cities.

You may use Skype, etc., at a wifi hotspot if you have an internet-enabled device that is not a phone but has full audio capabilities (such as an iPod touch).