- US Dollar, The United States dollar is commonly accepted. Bhutanese money is solely required for personal expenditures and the purchase of minor souvenir goods.
- Credit Cards Most ATMs in Bhutan, the most of which are located in Thimphu and Paro, now accept Visa MasterCard and Visa Maestro.
- Money exchange. Major hotels and banks exchange major currencies.
- ATM. ATMs that accept foreign cards such as Visa and MasterCard are operated by the major banks. However, since the service isn’t always dependable, it’s a good idea to have some extra cash on hand.
- Western Union Money Transfer, Thimphu Post Office is a post office in Thimphu, Bhutan. Customers’ personal accounts cannot be used to make payments, although this facility may accept money from abroad.
The Royal Monetary Authority of Bhutan has issued a notice prohibiting the use of Indian 500 and 1000 rupee notes, despite the fact that Indian money is legal tender in Bhutan. Nonetheless, as of October 2009, most people accept the 500 rupee note. Because the aforementioned notes are not accepted by government-owned businesses, it is recommended to carry enough money in Bhutanese currency or in the form of Indian 100 rupee notes. Also, keep in mind that it is unlawful for foreign nationals to import and export Indian rupees to and from India.
Embassies and Consulates
- India: Royal Bhutanese Embassy – Chandragupta Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110 021. Tel: 609217/ 609218, Fax:6876710
- U.S.: Consulate General of Bhutan – 2 UN Plaza, 27th Floor, New York NY 10017. Tel:(212) 826-1919, Fax:(212) 826-2998.
- Canada: Honorary Consul of Bhutan – 146 Yorkville Ave, Toronto, ON M5R 1C2. Tel: (416) 960-3552 Email: [email protected]
- Hong Kong: Honorary Consul of Bhutan – 32/F, New World Tower, 16-18 Queen’s Road, Central, Hong Kong. Tel: (852) 28443117, 2844-3111, Fax: (852) 25247652 Email: [email protected]
- Thailand: The Royal Bhutanese Embassy in Bangkok – Jewelry Trade Center Building, Rm. 1907, 19th Floor, 919/1 Silom Road, Bangkok 10500. Tel:2671722, 630119 – Fax:6301193.
- Kuwait: Royal Bhutanese Embassy, Adailiya-Block 3- Essa Abdul Rahman Al-Assoussi Street, Jaddah No. 32- Villa No. 7, Kuwait. Phone: +9652516640/50, Fax: +9652516550
- Bangladesh: Royal Bhutanese Embassy,House No.12 CEN, Road No.107, Gulshan, Dhaka-1212. Phone: +880-2-8826863/8827160, Fax: +880-2-8823939