Monday, June 27, 2022

Visa & Passport Requirements for Egypt

AfricaEgyptVisa & Passport Requirements for Egypt

Read next

Egypt is one of only three countries in the Middle East that tolerate Israeli citizens in their country. Therefore, entry into Egypt is not a problem for holders of Israeli passports.

As Egypt is a major tourist destination whose economy depends on tourists’ money, it is relatively easy to enter the country or obtain a visa if necessary. There are three types of Egyptian visas:

  • Tourist visa – usually valid for up to 3 months and issued for single or multiple entry.
  • Entry visa – required for any foreigner entering Egypt for purposes other than tourism, e.g. to work, study, etc. Possession of a valid entry visa is required to complete the process of residence in Egypt.
  • Transit visa – rarely required and only for certain nationalities

Entry visas can be applied for at Egyptian diplomatic and consular missions abroad or at the entry visa department of the Travel Documents, Immigration and Nationality Authority (TDINA). Non-Egyptian travellers must have a valid passport.

Citizens of the United Kingdom, the EU, Australia, Canada, Croatia, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Macedonia, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation, Serbia, Ukraine and the United States can obtain a visa on arrival at major ports of entry. The fees for the visa are as follows:

  • USD25 – Single Entry Visa
  • USD35 – Multiple-entry visa

Nationals of Bahrain, Guinea, South Korea, Libya, Oman, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen are granted a 3-month visa on arrival. Kuwaiti nationals are granted a 6-month residence permit on arrival. Chinese and Malaysian nationals are granted a 15-day visa on arrival. Chinese citizens (only those from Hong Kong and the Macao SAR) can stay for 30 days without a visa.

Egypt has announced its intention to stop offering visas on arrival to individual travellers who do not arrive as part of a package tour, [www] but the introduction of this policy, originally scheduled for May 2015, has been temporarily postponed. (www] [www]

Nationals of the following countries currently require a visa before entering Egypt, which must be obtained from an Egyptian consulate or embassy abroad:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Comoros, R. Congo, DR Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Kenya, DPR Korea, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Lesotho, South Africa, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritius, Mauritania, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Kyrgyzstan. St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey (except for persons under 20 and over 45), Turkmenistan, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Visitors entering Egypt via the Taba border crossing or Sharm el-Sheikh airport can be exempted from the visa requirement and receive a 14-day free entry visa to visit the Aqaba coast of the Sinai Peninsula. Visitors wishing to leave the Sinai Peninsula and travel to Cairo and other Egyptian cities must be in possession of a full Egyptian visa, although strictly speaking, chances are no one will check this unless you are trying to leave the country. They are not issued at the Taba border post and must be purchased in advance either in the country of residence, at the Egyptian consulate in Eilat, or at the airport on arrival. Visitors travelling as part of organised tours can often get their visas at the border, but you should check in advance with their travel agent or tour operator to find out if this is available to them. People who hold a residence permit for Egypt do not need to apply for an entry visa if they leave the country and return within the period of validity of their residence permit or within six months, whichever is shorter.

Tourists visiting Sharm el Sheikh and intending to dive outside the local areas (e.g. Ras Mohammed) must apply for a tourist visa, as this technically means leaving the Sharm el Sheikh area, and therefore a visa is required. The boat managers can check the dive boats during their journey, so it is advisable to obtain the visa in advance: you and the boat driver may be fined if you are caught without the appropriate visa. Most reputable dive centres will ask for your visa before allowing you to participate in these trips.

Egypt has peaceful relations with Israel, but the degree of friendship varies, as do the direct ties between the two countries. Since December 2009, direct air service between Cairo and Tel Aviv has been suspended for several years. The bus service seems to continue, as described below. Be sure to check the situation when planning, and again at the last minute.

How to get in Egypt

With plane Egypt has several international airports: Cairo International Airport — It is the main entry point and hub airport for the national airline  Egyptair.Alexandria NozhaLuxor International Airport — has become the recipient of an increasing number of scheduled international flights, mainly from Europe, in addition to charter flights.Aswan International AirportHurghada International Airport —...

How to get around in Egypt

With train The state-owned Egyptian National Railways operates almost all trains in Egypt. The Cairo-Alexandria line is a busy train line with frequent daily services. For journeys from Cairo to Luxor and Aswan in Upper Egypt, there are night trains operated by a separate private company called Abela Egypt. On ENR...

Destinations In Egypt

Cities Greater Cairo - the capital of Egypt and is home to the Pyramids of Giza, the Egyptian Museum and stunning Islamic architecture..Alexandria - Egypt's Window on the Mediterranean, with glimpses of the past still palpableAswan - a more relaxed option, full of curiositiesHurghada - a Red Sea town filled...

Weather & Climate in Egypt

Egypt's climate is generally classified as desert. It is an extension of the great Sahara desert that encircles North Africa, and except for the narrow strip of irrigated land along the Nile, very little could survive there. Herodotus, the ancient Greek historian, remarked: "Egypt is the gift of the...

Things To See in Egypt

The main attractions of any visit to Egypt are the well-known monuments of Lower (North) and Upper (South) Egypt. The most famous are: Greater Cairo the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinxthe Egyptian museumSaqqara and Dahshur pyramids and templesCitadel of Salah El Din and Mosque of Mohamed AliAl Hussein Mosque and...

Money & Shopping In Egypt

Currency The local currency is the Egyptian Pound (EGP), which is divided into 100 piasters. (The currency is often written in LE, (an abbreviation of the French Egyptian pound) or using the £ sign with or without additional letters: E£ and £E. Coins: The denominations are 25pt, 50pt and 1 pound....

Festivals & Events In Egypt

Public Holidays On the following Egyptian public holidays (civil and religious), banks, shops and businesses are closed and public transport may be limited: 7 January (Eastern Orthodox Christmas)25 January (day of the Egyptian revolution)25 April (Sinai Liberation Day)1 May (Labour Day)23 July (day of the July revolution)6 October (Armed Forces Day)1st...

Food & Drink In Egypt

Food In Egypt Egypt can be a fantastic place to try a unique selection of food: not too spicy and well seasoned with herbs. For a convenient selection of Egyptian cuisine and staples, check out the Felfela restaurant chain in Cairo. However, some visitors complain that they have become almost...

Internet & Communications in Egypt

Egypt has a fairly modern telephone service with three GSM mobile telephone operators. The three mobile telephone operators are Orange, Vodafone and Etisalat. The main centres are in Alexandria, Cairo, Al Mansurah, Ismailia, Suez and Tanta. Roaming services are available, but you should check with your service provider. It...

Language & Phrasebook in Egypt

The mother tongue spoken in most of the country and the national lingua franca is Egyptian Arabic. The official language of Egypt is standard Arabic. Although it is not very pronounced, it is taught in schools and therefore understood by almost everyone except for a small minority, mainly uneducated people,...

Things To Do In Egypt

For the foreign traveler, there is much to do in Egypt. In addition to visiting and seeing the ancient temples and artifacts of ancient Egypt, there is also much to see in each city. In fact, each city in Egypt has its own charm of things to see, with...

Traditions & Customs In Egypt

Tipping Remember that most Egyptian workers expect tips after providing a service. This can be expected for something as small as pushing the lift button. Many workers will even ask you to tip them before you have a chance to do so. The typical tip for small services is 1...

Culture In Egypt

Egypt is a recognised cultural pioneer in the Arabic-speaking world. Contemporary Arab and Middle Eastern culture is strongly influenced by Egyptian literature, music, cinema and television. In the 1950s and 1960s, Egypt played a leading regional role, which gave an additional and lasting boost to the reputation of Egyptian...

History Of Egypt

Prehistory and Ancient Egypt Along the terraces of the Nile, in the desert oases, there is evidence of rock carvings. In the 10th millennium BC, the culture of hunters and fishermen was replaced by that of grain milling. Climate change or overgrazing around 8000 BC began to dry up the...

Stay Safe & Healthy In Egypt

Stay safe WARNING: The governments of several countries warned against unnecessary travel to Egypt after the army threatened a coup due to ongoing protests against President Mohamed Morsi. (This coup d'état actually took place in 2013; there have been numerous arrests of journalists and the human rights situation remains problematic.)Egypt...



South America


North America

Most Popular