- Enjoy in the sun at Maa’moura or Montazah beaches. Summertime, the beaches are densely filled with Egyptian visitors, parasols, and plastic chairs, and admission costs LE 5 (2008). At this time of year, the sand and water may include some floating plastic. Certain sites charge LE 20 for additional space.
- Montazah Royal Gardens – Though the gardens are part of the larger royal house known as the Muntazah Palace’s over 350-acre grounds, the Montazah Royal Gardens take up more than half of the land. Montazah Royal Gardens are also located along the coast, providing easy access to the area’s beautiful beaches and mild Mediterranean Sea waters. The Montazah Royal Gardens are rather uncommon among municipal parks and public spaces in that they are meticulously groomed and well-stocked with seats and open-air wading or swimming pools.
- Montazah Water Activities, located in Montazah, offers a variety of water sports, from waterskiing to wakeboarding, as well as banana boat and donut rides.
- Rent a boat and cruise around Ras el-Tin.
- Take a leisurely stroll along the magnificent Corniche beside the Mediterranean Sea.
- Alexandria Stadium or Haras El-Hedood Stadium, Max Street or Lumumba Street (Inform any Al-Istad cab driver and he would know where to take you. Inform the cab driver Istad El Max if there is a Haras El-Hedood match). Attend a soccer match in the Egyptian League. El-Ittihad, El-Olympi, Haras El-Hedood, and Smouha are the Alexandria teams. Seats range in price from 25 LE to 500 LE, depending on the sector. Seating is divided into four sections: VIP, 1st degree, 2nd degree, and 3rd degree. If you’re a foreigner, I suggest sitting in the VIP area to prevent being harassed by die-hard fans. Between 25 and 500 LE.
- Casino Austria of Egypt -B CP W, Only foreigners are permitted to enter Egypt’s Casino Austria. El-Salamlek Palace Casino is another name for it. Blackjack, Roulette, Punto Banco, Slot Machines, and Caribbean Stud Poker are among the games available. The El-Salamlek Palace Hotel in Alexandria is home to Egypt’s Casino Austria.
- Al-Amirate Cinema -B W (Address: Montazah Palace, P. O. Box 258, Alexandria; +20 35-477999), Enjoy the finest films with meals in an elegant and luxurious setting at Al-Amirate Cinema. The Cinema is situated in Alexandria’s El-Salamlek Palace Hotel.
- Royal Alexandria (Address: Fouad Street, Downtown, Alexandria; 012 2275493/4), The same individuals that control the Renaissance cinemas in Cairo also own this movie theater in Alexandria. Three screens are available, each with surround sound and all available choices. Daily midnight performances.
Alexandria’s old town, maybe with the exception of Beirut, has the highest concentration of bookstores and booksellers in the Arab world. A highlight is a lengthy line of sidewalk bookstalls on Nabi Danyal Street, just across from the French Cultural Centre.
- Al Ahram, 10 Horreya St. Telephone: 483-4000.
- Book Center of Alexandria,General Egyptian Book Organization, 49 Saad Zaghloul St. Telephone: 482-2925. English, Arabic, French, and German language books, as well as reasonably priced educational materials.
- Ramada Bazaar Bookshop, Ramada Renaissance Hotel. Telephone: 549-0935. Open daily 9AM to midnight.
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina Bookshop, El Shatby. Open daily 9am to 7pm. The library’s bookstore. This is an excellent resource for general and tourist reading in a variety of languages.
- Diwan, El Shatby. A branch of a well-known Egyptian business has been opened. Complete English and Arabic literature, including fiction and non-fiction. Cafe.
- Alef, Alex-Cairo desert road, Le Marche Mall. A newly established two-story bookstore featuring all types of Arabic/Foreign literature.
- Sporting Club (right in the heart of Alexandria). The Alexandria Sporting Club, founded in 1898 and utilized throughout the British rule, is one of Egypt’s oldest sporting clubs. Today, the golf course occupies 97 feddans, or 97 percent of the entire club area. It is a level course with challenging bunkers that is suitable for both beginners and professionals. Additionally, the club offers four restaurants, the most opulent of which is the Club House Restaurant, and the Happy Land restaurant, which overlooks the children’s playground. Additionally, it provides food for parties.
- Smouha Sporting Club, Smouha. International Hockey Stadium, many swimming pools, a number of soccer fields, and two jogging tracks are just a few of the facilities available. Only members and visitors are permitted.
- Rent diving equipment from Alexandra Dive and explore the historic ruins of East Harbour. However, be prepared for low visibility, a lack of safety standards, and a complete disdain for historical relics.
- Swim at the Country Club or Lagoon Resort, located just across from Carrefour.
- Attend a dance class at the Centre Rezodanse – Egypte (downtown Alexandria, 15 Sezostris Street, in front of Banque du Caire). This cultural center provides lessons in Ballet, Flamenco, Contemporary Dance, and Egyptian Folkloric Dance on a regular basis. Additionally, special courses with guest professors are offered, as are periodic cultural events (exhibitions, book signing, …). Tamarin Centre (next to Concrete Shop on Kafr Abdou Street) has frequent dance and exercise activities (Salsa, Tango, Aerobics, Fitness, Yoga, etc.). Both centers provide a variety of activities for adults and children.