Numerous establishments seem to have established shopping hours. Winter hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Monday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Hours fluctuate throughout Ramadan, with many stores shutting on Sunday. Summer hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
In commercial districts, merchants of a single product or class of items are often grouped along a street; for example, Nabi Danial is well-known for its bookshops and dealers of electrical supplies and electronic equipment.
- International Language Bookstore, 18 Abd el-Hamid el-Dib Street, Tharwat tram station (Ramleh Tram). A modest and nice little bookshop, albeit excruciatingly difficult to locate. It includes a rather excellent range of English-language classics and a nice variety of reference books. Appropriate for children’s literature and beach reading.
- El Maaref Establishment, Saad Zaghloul St. Raml station (Yellow tram or Taxi), +20 3-4853055.
- Alex Book Centre, Semouha, +20 3-4294362. A large publisher and distributor of products for English language instruction and school curricula.
- Nabi Daniel booksellers, An Nabi Daniel (street). Along An Nabi Daniel street, retailers queue up to offer books in a variety of languages, including Arabic, English, French, and German. The price is negotiable. Negotiable price.
Shopping malls In Alexandria
- Carrefour City Center. Mall has a massive hypermarket, coffee cafes, and movies. To get here, take a cab.
- Mirage Mall. A tiny upscale shopping center located just across from Carrefour. Clothing stores such as Adidas and Timberland factory stores, as well as prominent cafés and restaurants such as Chili’s and Pasadena Roof.
- Deeb Mall, Roushdy. Mall of moderate size featuring movies and a food court.
- Family Mall. Gianaclis Station’s mid-priced retail center.
- Green Plaza (next to Hilton Hotel). A large retail mall containing a variety of stores, restaurants, movies, and a video game and bowling alley.
- Kirosez Mall, Mostafa Kamel. A mid-priced retail center.
- Mina Mall, Ibrahimia. Another mid-priced retail center.
- Maamoura Plaza Mall, Maamoura. Some restaurants.
- San Stefano Grand Plaza Mall, San Stefano (eastern Alexandria, next to Four Seasons Hotel). Perhaps Alexandria’s biggest retail center. Luxury shopping, 10 cinemas, and a vast food court.
- Wataniyya Mall, Sharawy St (Louran). Small shopping mall.
- Zahran Mall, Smouha. Coffee shops and movie theaters.