Cities in Cape Verde
There are 24 cities in Cape Verde.
- Praia – the capital, on Santiago Island
- Mindelo – port city on São Vicente, probably the country’s liveliest
- Cidade Velha (Ribeira Grande) – A historic town on Santiago
- Espargos is the capital of Sal where the airport is and Santa Maria is the main tourist area at the south of the island
- Assomada is the seat of municipality of Santa Catarina on Santiago
- Santa Maria – former administrative capital and the most populous city on Sal
- São Filipe capital of island Fogo
Regions in Cape Verde
Cape Verde is made up of ten major islands and about eight islets. The major islands are as follows (clockwise from northwest):
- Santo Antão Great hiking
São Vicente With the cultural capital of Mindelo.
Santa Luzia Santa Luzia is uninhabited but can be visited as a day trip from São Vicente.
Sal There are many beaches, water activities, and resorts to choose from. But there isn’t much else.
Boa Vista Even nicer beaches.
Santiago Island Cape Verde was the first island to be inhabited. It is home to the present capital, Praia, as well as the ancient city, Cidade Velha, and the majority of the country’s inhabitants.
Fogo A spectacular volcano island which erupted as recently as 2014.
Brava A small island only accessible by boat and is a great place to get away from it all.
Other destinations in Cape Verde
- Brava, the smallest of the islands, is a botanist’s delight, with numerous rare plants living in its foggy woods.
- Pico de Fogo is an active volcano on Fogo that has produced a one-of-a-kind environment that is best explored on foot or by horseback.